Monday, February 27, 2012

Dinner and Dessert After a Long Bloggy Break

Whew! It has been a long time since I've updated, and I do apologize! It was really just about that time to get this thing going again. This past year has been busy for me and there have been a lot of changes, but one thing that hasn't changed is my Celiac status and the constant need to try new gluten free food. One thing that has changed, is I now have a roommate that is also gluten free, so now I have someone to bounce ideas off of and feed all of my creations too *cue evil laughter*.

Recently, I have been on the same obsession-boat as everyone else in the world it seems, PINTEREST!! I love love love everything about that stupid site. I'm pretty sure I have pinned any and everything that could possibly be of interest to my brain, as if anyone cares. This has led to a lot of late nights staring at yummy foods that I am just dying to make gluten free. Lucky you!

So this week, I had to do something a little on the healthy side. This entire winter I have been stuffing my face with fried, heavy and pre-packaged foods and I felt like it was time to get back to basics. It was absolutely time to experiment with quinoa again, too. I felt like a bad gluten free food blogger since I hadn't attempted it, but my first experience with the stuff was just terrible. It was a pain to wash and had a strange texture. It did seem to be a great alternative to rice, which I was getting sick of, so I did want to give it another try. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong the first time, because it wasn't bad at all this go-round!

This recipe comes from www.realsimple.com and is, indeed, real simple! It is also tasty, healthy and colorful.

Quinoa With Mushrooms, Kale and Sweet Potatoes


Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 small sweet potatoes (peeled & cut into cubes)
10oz button mushrooms, quartered
2 cloves of garlic (I prefer the pre-chopped kind)
1 bunch kale, stems discarded & torn in 2 inch pieces.
3/4 cup dry, white wine
Kosher salt & black pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Directions:
Bring quinoa and 2 cups of water to boil. Reduce heat & simmer, covered, until all water is absorbed. I like to use gluten free bouillon cubes in my water to add a little flavor as well.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.

Add sweet potatoes and mushrooms. Cook, tossing occasionally until golden and beginning to soften (5-6 minutes).

Stir in garlic and cook for one more minute.

NOW FOR MY FAVORITE PART!! (the wine) .I sampled generously while making this dish.


Add kale, wine, 3/4 teaspoon salt & 1/4 teaspoon pepper (I don't really measure salt and pepper, I just throw stuff in until I feel like it's enough). Cook, tossing often, until veggies are tender. They won't be squishy, just slightly soft. The sweet potatoes add texture in this vegetarian dish.

Serve veggies over quinoa and sprinkle cheese on top.

Confession: I forgot the cheese when I served this. I'm a terrible person. The dish still tasted OK, but I put the cheese on leftovers and it was much better. Obviously. Everything is better with cheese.

No Bake Nutella Cookies


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup Nutella hazelnut spread
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup of milk
crushed hazelnuts

Directions:
Add butter, milk and sugar to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir continuously until rapid boil. Continue to stir as it boils for 1 minute.

Remove pan from heat and stir in Nutella until well incorporated.

Stir in oats until it looks all gross like this:



You can, apparently, drop teaspoonfuls of this mixture onto wax paper and eat them that way, but I rolled the mixture into little balls and then rolled them in crushed hazelnuts. They look nice this way and they were very tasty! They didn't last very long at all. This recipe also comes from Pinterest by way of this gluten free blog: ezgf.blogspot.com

Enjoy! I do hope to be blogging something new again soon, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment