Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sesame Chicken


This blog, among other factors, is really taking a toll on my waistline! I've decided to lighten things up a bit and try some healthier recipes. This recipe for Sesame Chicken is adapted from Martha Stewart's website (oh Martha, my hero). I found it while searching for "light chicken ideas". While it is indeed healthy, its quite filling and one of my favorite recipes yet! 

Makes about 4 servings

Ingredients:
1 cup rice
3 TBS honey
2 TBS sesame seeds
2 TBS gluten free soy sauce
1 garlic clove, finely chopped or crushed
2 large egg whites
1/4 cup cornstarch 
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into chunks
salt & pepper
2 TBS olive oil
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 1/2 lbs broccoli, steamed 

Directions:
Cook rice according to directions. Meanwhile, make sauce: In a small bowl, combine honey, sesame seeds, soy sauce, and garlic. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites and cornstarch. Add chicken, season with salt & pepper and toss to coat. In a large non stick skillet, heat 1 TBS oil over med-high heat. Add half the chicken. Cook, turning occasionally until opaque throughout. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining chicken. Return all chicken to skillet, add reserved sauce and scallions, and toss to coat. Serve sesame chicken with broccoli and rice. 

5 comments:

  1. excellent dish. triple the sauce as others suggest and you will be glad you did. added peanuts, otherwise cooked as written and magnifico!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! My mom was having family over and my sister and I said we would cook. We came upon this recipe and thought we would give it a try. I was nervous at first because it didn't smell that great but when it was all done it tasted great! Everyone loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this recipe. Followed it colsely except I couldn't find 5 spice powder so I used fresh ground ginger. I am making it agin tonight for the second time, as I liked it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this recipe. It is better than some of the Chinese restaurants. The only thing I did differently was added a tablespoon of Hoisen Sauce to the marinade, only because I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am making it again tonight for the second time, as I liked it so much!

    ReplyDelete