Monday, July 26, 2010

Product Review - Cinnamon Raisin Mochi

I spotted this packet of mochi in the refrigerator section of my local Whole Foods. Mochi is made of rice paste and molded into shape. Mochi ice cream is something I'm familiar with from Japanese restaurants, but I've never tried it on its own. The directions looked easy enough, so I took a chance. Apparently, Grainaissance makes several flavors of mochi, but all they had at my store was raisin & cinnamon.


The mochi was a little difficult to cut, but a heavy, sharp knife helps. The squares will puff up and grow larger in the oven, so make sure you have some distance between squares on the cookie sheet. Mine just barely touched in some places. I think next time I would cut them just a tad smaller.


There are many ideas for mochi fillings and toppings online, but since I had flavored mochi, I opted for a simple powdered sugar icing. Just mix about a tablespoon of milk into a cup or so of powdered sugar. The end result reminded me of a chewy danish.


I think these are a cute and quick breakfast treat. A pretty decent gluten free donut substitute, if I do say so myself. Don't we all need more donut substitutes? 

1 comment:

  1. I finally made these. Next time I will spread them further apart. They were much better than I thought they would be! A nice tasty treat.

    ReplyDelete