Thursday, July 22, 2010

Gluten Free Crab Cakes & a Product Review

Since I live in Maryland, it's about time I learn to make crab cakes. I've lived in the state for eleven years now, you think I would have given it a whirl by now! So I took a stab at a gluten free version of the Maryland favorite. They turned out really great...I'm so proud! 


Ingredients:
16 oz fresh crab meat (do NOT use fake crab, it is not gluten free!!)
1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs (I used corn meal based crumbs...something with more texture)
2 eggs, beaten 
1 tsp garlic
1 TBS Mayo
1 TBS Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 lemon's worth of juice
olive oil 



Directions:
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until combined. Try not to over mix so there are plenty of lumps of crab left in the cakes! Form 6-8 patties and chill for about an hour. Coat a frying pan with a shallow layer of olive oil and cook patties on medium heat until golden. Flip patties and do the same on the other side. 



Serve with salad and lemon slices. 



Gluten free chocolate chip cookies


I went a bit crazy at Whole Foods this week and picked up a ton of products to try out. I stocked up on quick and easy items, so you can look forward to lots of entries about new products. I love to try everything that's out there to get ideas, add some variety and learn what to stay away from. I grabbed these gluten free chocolate chip cookies from the freezer section. This is pre-cut cookie dough just like I used to get back in my gluten eating days.



These are fairly large cookies and I was crossing my fingers that they didn't spread as much as regular cookie dough does. They didn't spread out at all, only puffed up slightly and turned golden brown. The smell of fresh baked cookies filled my apartment...I have missed that smell! 

As soon as they were cool enough, I took a bite, and I wasn't really pleased. Dry, crumbly cardboard filled my mouth and I was pretty disappointed. I plated the cookies and decided to come back after dinner to try again. My next bite was much more pleasant. These are not the soft, chewy homemade cookies I'm used to. They're supposed to be crunchy. Once I realized their true texture and they were completely cooled, I could enjoy them for what they were. I ate a couple after dinner and a couple the next day as a snack. Overall, better than most pre-packaged cookies I have tried and not too shabby! 





No comments:

Post a Comment