Friday, July 9, 2010

Cheese Steak

Here it goes....I have a confession: I had never eaten a cheese steak before being diagnosed with Celiac! Shocking, I know. So I can say with confidence that I have no clue what a real Philly Cheese Steak tastes like, but I do enjoy the idea. It seems that soon after I was diagnosed these things started popping up everywhere and all I could do was sit nearby and pout as my friends devoured them and exclaimed, "wow! this is amazing!". Even though I can't have the real deal, I thought it would be a good idea to try to recreate something similar at home. Heck, I don't even have to take a three hour road trip to eat this one! Sounds great!

The Butcher at Whole Foods was fantastic. I wasn't sure what kind of steak to use, so I just asked. He said he liked to use Sirloin and went on to explain how he would slice it (thin, and on a diagonal, leaving out any gristle). I ended up with just over a pound of steak and it worked famously.

These cheese steaks were wonderful. I know I don't have much to compare it to, but if you're looking for a fairly easy weeknight dinner and you aren't anywhere close to Philadelphia, these turned out really great! I served these with Ore-Ida steak fries for a truly filling dinner.


I'm not sure how the Kinnikinnick hot dog buns work with hot dogs, but they were perfect for the cheese steaks. If you can't find these, you could probably use any gluten free bread substitute. I used Velveeta cheese since I had leftovers from the mini quiche and I think it worked out really well since it melts so nicely.

Ingredients:
thinly sliced Sirloin
green pepper
onion
mushrooms
mayonnaise
Velveeta cheese
Kinnikinnick GF hot dog buns (or other GF rolls)

Directions:
Slice all veggies and sauté with olive oil. Brown steak. When steak is done, lay slices of cheese on top of sections of steak, cover with a lid and allow to melt. Defrost buns in microwave and cut lengthwise. Layer buns with mayo, steak and cheese and then veggies. Serve warm! 


No comments:

Post a Comment