Sunday, July 11, 2010

Egg Drop Soup & Chicken Fried Rice

The motivation behind this dish originally came from my need to make something without bacon or cheese for once. It actually took quite a while for me to think of something without either of my favorite ingredients. Obviously, I have a problem. I need a bacon/cheese detox! Then my mind started to wander and I began to wish I could just order Chinese take out. Ah-ha! Maybe I can't just dial up take out, but I could make it at home for half the price! The egg drop soup was surprisingly quick and easy. I will be making this again soon. It would make a great lunch, and maybe in the future I can try to make some gluten free fried noodles to go with it!

Ingredients:
2 eggs
1/2 cup + 2 TBS water
4 cups chicken broth (make sure its GF)
2 TBS cornstarch
1 scallion, chopped
1 tsp grated ginger 
dash of salt

Directions:
Bring chicken broth to a boil and add chopped scallions, ginger and salt. Add cornstarch to 1/2 cup of water and dissolve before adding to the chicken broth to thicken. Scramble eggs with 2 TBS water. Remove broth from heat and slowly pour in the eggs while stirring with a whisk or fork in a clockwise direction. Stir faster for thin ribbons of egg or slowly for thicker strands.

Egg Drop Soup

For the Chicken Fried Rice, it helps to cook the rice the night before or use leftovers. The rice needs to be cold to avoid clumping. You can also use leftover chicken and vegetables. I used peas and carrots this time. 

Ingredients:
2 cups cold white rice
1 small onion
1 TBS butter
1 egg + 2TBS water
2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
about 1/4 cup veggies 
2 scallions, chopped
2 TBS GF soy sauce (La Choy is a good brand)
black pepper
2 TBS olive oil

Directions:
Melt butter in large skillet, scramble egg with water and add to pan. Create a thin layer (like an omelet) and let cook for a few minutes. When the egg is cooked, cut into strips and remove from pan. Heat oil in pan and sauté onions to soft. Add rice, soy sauce, veggies, scallions and black pepper and cook together for a few minutes. 

So much better than delivery! 

No comments:

Post a Comment