Sunday, June 20, 2010

Food About Town

One of the most difficult things about being gluten-free is trying to fit in when eating with others. Special occasions, holidays and gatherings can all prove to be rather challenging. Luckily, I live in a great area where there is a high awareness of food allergies and Celiac Disease, but I know everyone doesn't have that advantage. The most important thing is communication. Don't be afraid to call restaurants ahead of time, ask questions and make sure people take proper precautions when handling your food. I used to be shy about this, but have learned to be assertive so I can enjoy going out with my friends. It's also a good idea to educate the public so more gluten-free options can become available in the future.

This weekend I had the pleasure of attending Rachel & Mike's wedding and had a fabulous time. About a week ago, I called the venue where the reception was going to be held and talked to the caterers. I asked them if it would be possible to make something gluten free so I could eat at the wedding. The manager was incredibly helpful, and even though he wasn't sure exactly what I could and could not eat, he did have a friend that had Celiac and talked to him about my meal. He called me several times and told me that he would make a plate separate from the buffet and if I asked for him, he would bring it to my table. There was also plenty of options for appetizers, as a lot of it was naturally gluten free!






fruit and cheese for snacking













grilled chicken, roast beef, green beans, and roasted potatoes








Luckily, I also have some really great friends that don't mind going out of their way to make me something gluten-free. Most of them have learned a lot about what I can have and always try to make sure there is something for me if we go out or get together for parties. Today, Jess came over and made me a delicious gluten free meal to help me recover from my wedding hangover!


Jess adds chopped bell pepper and McCormick's hamburger seasoning to ground turkey and makes burgers topped with cheddar cheese, avocado, more bell pepper, lettuce and tomato. They were awesome with a little mustard!


There is no reason to limit your activities just because you're gluten free. With a little planning, its easy to fit in and fill up on plenty of fantastic foods. Rarely do I feel like I'm left out of something because of gluten. It's all about taking charge of your life and making the best of every situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment